By Bo Tefu | California Black Media
California Initiative Would Exempt Some Homeowners 60 and Older From Property Taxes
California voters could decide whether to exempt certain homeowners age 60 and older from paying property taxes under a new constitutional amendment now cleared to gather signatures.
Secretary of State Shirley N. Weber, Ph.D., announced that the proposal officially entered circulation on Feb. 5, 2026, a requirement for it to be placed on the statewide ballot for the November general election. Supporters must collect 874,641 valid signatures by Aug. 4, 2026, for the measure to qualify.
The proposed amendment would exempt a principal residence from property taxes if the homeowner or their spouse is at least 60 years old and has either lived in the home for five consecutive years or lived in California for at least 10 years. The exemption would end if the property no longer serves as a primary residence. After five years, homeowners would need to certify that they still qualify. The measure would not apply to voter-approved special taxes, assessments or bonds.
The Attorney General issued the official title and summary, which states the proposal would reduce local property tax revenues by exempting qualifying homes from taxation.
“Many homeowners age 60 or older would pay lower property taxes. This would reduce revenue for local governments and schools by $12 billion to $20 billion per year. These losses would grow over time,” states a fiscal estimate from the nonpartisan Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO) and the Director of Finance.
Weber said the initiative was cleared after the Attorney General completed the required legal review process and forwarded the official language of the measure to her office and the name of the proponent.
The proposal, filed as Initiative 25-0035, is sponsored by Rishi Kumar of Campbell. To qualify for the ballot, supporters must gather signatures equal to 8% of the total votes cast for governor in the November 2022 election.
If approved by voters, the measure would amend the California Constitution and could significantly reshape how property taxes fund local governments and public schools across the state.
California AG Opens Civil Rights Probe Into Eaton Fire Evacuation Delays Among Black West Altadenans
California Attorney General Rob Bonta launched a civil rights investigation into whether delayed emergency alerts and evacuations, during the Eaton Fire unlawfully harmed residents of the historically Black community of West Altadena.
The probe will examine whether Los Angeles County’s emergency response violated state anti-discrimination and disability rights laws by notifying and evacuating West Altadena later than surrounding areas as the fire advanced. Bonta said the central question is whether the delay amounted to disparate treatment based on race, age, or disability.
“There was indisputably a delayed emergency notification and evacuation of West Altadena,” Bonta said in Los Angeles where he made the announcement. “We’re here to ask why.”
The Eaton Fire ignited the night of Jan. 7, 2025, burning more than 14,000 acres and destroying thousands of structures across Altadena and Sierra Madre. At least 19 people were killed, 18 of them West Altadena residents. The average age of those who died was 77, according to the attorney general’s office.
Residents told reporters they never received alerts or got them only after they had already begun evacuating. Survivor Zaire Calvin said her sister, Evelyn McClendon, died in the fire after no warnings arrived. Another resident, Kara Vallow, said two neighbors on her street were also killed.
Earlier the same day, the Palisades Fire tore through Pacific Palisades, fueling criticism of emergency responses to both blazes and prompting multiple lawsuits. Bonta said the DOJ investigation is distinct because it focuses on civil rights questions within his office’s authority, including whether race-based disparities played a role.
An independent review commissioned by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors found that downed cell towers may have affected alerts and identified differences in evacuations between the Palisades and Eaton fires. The National Weather Service had warned days earlier of potentially life-threatening winds, with gusts forecast up to 100 mph.
Community pressure for an investigation had been building for months. A Black-led group, Altadena for Accountability, formally requested DOJ action in September 2025, and a banner calling for a probe briefly appeared during this year’s Rose Parade.
Bonta said the Civil Rights Enforcement Section will lead the investigation. While the DOJ pledged transparency, it said no further updates would be provided during the review.
California Punches Back With Lawsuit After Federal Gov’t Slashes $600 Million in Blue State Health Care Funding
California Attorney General Rob Bonta filed a federal lawsuit Feb. 9 after the Trump administration moved to cut more than $600 million in public health funding to four Democratic-led states, including California.
The lawsuit challenges a decision by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to terminate Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) grants to California, Colorado, Illinois and Minnesota. State officials argue the cuts are politically motivated and unlawful. California stands to lose the largest share of the funding.
According to the complaint, the grants support core public health programs, including HIV testing and treatment, disease surveillance, emergency preparedness and laboratory capacity. A major target is the Public Health Infrastructure Block Grant program, which operates in all 50 states. In California, the largest grant under that program totals $180 million, with $130 million still outstanding.
“President Trump is resorting to a familiar playbook. He is using federal funding to compel states and jurisdictions to follow his agenda. Those efforts have all previously failed, and we expect that to happen once again,” Bonta said in a statement.
Earlier this month, the Office of Management and Budget issued a directive ordering the CDC to cut funding to the four states. On Feb. 9, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) notified Congress of its intent to terminate the grants. The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, alleges the administration violated the Administrative Procedure Act and exceeded its constitutional authority by imposing retroactive conditions on funding.
“My fellow attorneys general and I will not be silenced. We will continue taking him to court any time he takes unlawful actions,” Bonta said.
The states are seeking a temporary restraining order to block the cuts from taking effect. If the funding is halted, California health officials warn it could disrupt disease prevention, emergency response and local public health services across the state.
Sen. Akilah Weber Pierson Proposes Bill to Teach High School Students CPR and AED Skills
Sen. Akilah Weber Pierson, M.D. (D–San Diego) has introduced legislation that would require all California public and charter high schools to provide instruction in hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) as part of a course required for graduation.
The measure, Senate Bill (SB) 945, applies to grades 9 through 12.
Each year, more than 350,000 people in the United States experience out-of-hospital cardiac arrest, with survival rates decreasing by 7% to 10% for every minute without immediate CPR. Despite the proven effectiveness of CPR and AED use, an estimated 758,000 California students do not have access to training in this life-saving skill.
“CPR and AED training can mean the difference between life and death,” said Weber Pierson. “This legislation ensures every student graduates with the knowledge and confidence to act in an emergency. These are simple, proven skills that save lives and help close long-standing gaps in survival outcomes.”
Research shows that cardiac arrest victims in low-income Black and Hispanic communities are significantly less likely to receive bystander CPR. SB 945 is sponsored by the Eric Paredes Save A Life Foundation, a statewide organization focused on preventing sudden cardiac arrest in youth.
Maureen Legg, co-executive director of the foundation, said, “The majority of the three-quarters-of-a-million youth currently excluded from CPR/AED learning represent our state’s diverse socio-economic student population, where these life-saving skills are most needed to create equity in survival. It’s time to cultivate the next generation of life savers.”
The American Heart Association and the American Red Cross also sponsor the bill.
Matt Clark, a cardiac arrest survivor and San Diego board member of the Heart Association, said, “Training students to bring lifesaving skills into the world means countless lives saved and their family members spared.”
Arianna Nassiri of the American Red Cross emphasized the importance of preparedness.
“Seventy percent of all cardiac arrests happen in the home, meaning you may be helping to save a family member or friend.” She said. “This is why it’s critical that people know what to do until medical help arrives.”
SB 945 would align California with 41 other states and Washington, D.C., which already require CPR training for high school graduation. Advocates say the bill equips students with the knowledge and confidence to save lives, while promoting equity in emergency response outcomes.
