By Nicholas Ibarra | OBSERVER Staff Writer
All listed events, and more, can be viewed online on The OBSERVER’s community events calendar at SacObserver.com.
- Freedom Schools 2023 Now Enrolling – 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 20 through July 28, at Las Palmas Campus. The Roberts Family Development Center is a proud sponsor of the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools summer program. Deeply rooted in the civil rights movement, specifically the Mississippi freedom summer, this six-week summer program offers an enrichment program to empower children to excel and believe in their ability to make a difference in themselves, their families, communities, country and world with hope, education and action.
- Erykah Badu: Unfollow Me Tour with Yasiin Bey – 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 20, at Golden 1 Center. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience the musically gifted Erykah Badu as she performs live in concert, featuring performances by hip-hop/rap artist Yasiin Bey and other extraordinary guests.
- ALZ & Arthur Murray Dance Center presents “Summer Extravaganza Music Fest” – 7-9:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 21, at the Jill Solberg Performing Arts Center. Join a night filled with good vibes, great music and unforgettable memories and raise awareness and funds to fight Alzheimer’s disease.
- Sac Black Chamber New Member Orientation – 9-10:30 a.m. Thursday, June 22, at the Hyatt Regency in Sacramento. Join the local Chamber Collaborative to meet and network. Learn how to make the most of your membership and grow your business at this fun and informative mixer.
- Motown Mania! The Golden Hits of the Temptations and the Superstars of Motown – 7:30 p.m. Thursday, June 22, at the Harris Center. Billed as one of the hottest tickets in Vegas, Motown Mania centers around supergroups The Temptations and The Four Tops. You’ll thrill to heartstopping harmonies, dazzling choreography and the memorable hits you love most from Motown’s golden age. They’ll perform songs such as “Get Ready,” “My Girl,” “The Way You Do the Things You Do,” “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg,” “Baby I Need Your Lovin’,” “Just My Imagination” and many more.
- West Sacramento Community Garage Sale and Shred Event – 5-6 p.m. Friday, June 23, and 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, June 24, at Exclusive Realty and Mortgage. The garage sale is Saturday. Participants receive a garage sale yard sign, will be featured on their exclusive garage sale map for local exposure and have access to the Friday shred event.
- Inaugural Greg Najee Grimes LifeSavers Party! (Learn How to Save A Life) – 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, June 24, at North Natomas Community Center. This event provides free CPR training, stop-the-bleeding training, suicide prevention, active shooter training, free gun locks, bleed control kits and counseling, along with gifts and prizes, a bounce house and food trucks.
- Caregiver and Brain Health Lunch and Laugh – 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, June 24, at Roberts Family Development Center. Laughter is good for your brain. Join this unique event featuring a diverse caregiver panel, brain health experts, local community resources for caregivers and a performance by local comedian Imin J. Love. During the deep-dive resource table networking, you will be able to sit and talk with local community resources and experts on caregiving, brain health, ask a doctor and learn how to support a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Afro Soca Love: Sacramento Carnival Block Party – 2-10 p.m. Saturday, June 24, at 1913 Del Paso Blvd. Dance endlessly at this block party with music from all over the world. Soca, Afrobeat, reggae, dancehall, salsa, reggaeton, merengue, zouk, kompa, hip hop and R&B. Ages 21 and over.
- R&B Soul on the Ville: A Tribute to Frankie Beverly and Maze – 8 p.m. Saturday, June 24, at Grown Folks Lounge. Only grown folks know what a Frankie Beverly and Maze groove feels like, and this is sure to be a grown folks event you don’t want to miss. This tribute includes songs such as “Before I Let Go,” “Happy Feelins” and many more.