By Nicholas Ibarra | OBSERVER Staff Writer
All listed events, and more, can be viewed online on The OBSERVER’s community events calendar at SacObserver.com.
- 35th Anniversary Sacramento Black History Month Expo – 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 24, through Sunday, Feb. 26, at the Hyatt Regency in Sacramento. The free, public event features 100 exhibit booths for information, jobs, health, education, homeownership and more resources than ever. Regina Belle, Michel’le and Danielle Moné Truitt are scheduled to appear.
- 33rd Annual 100 Youth and Parents Conference – 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at John Still Middle School. This is a community-wide free conference for youth, parents and courageous leaders of Sacramento. Topics for youth and parents include health care 2.0, COVID, long COVID, diabetes, mental health wellness for families and getting to know your community organizations and resources. Organized by 100 Black Men of Sacramento.
- The Soul of Sac – 7-11 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25, at Colonial Theatre. The $30 event features live performances by Yardley Griffin, Vadia Rhodes, Lucky Witherspoon and Lizzy Paris, and is hosted by Dru Burks. Also featuring The Blueprynt Band & The Ladies of Blueprynt.
- Black History Month Celebration of Women – 3-6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 26, at Capital City Elks Lodge. Presentation by Grand Exalted Ruler Leonard Polk. Followed by talks from Samoria LaMuse, Melissa Coates, Alyse Hoy, Tina Baltimore and Velma Sykes.
- St. Andrews AME Celebrating Our Heritage Concert – 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 26, at St. Andrews AME Church. Featuring the Chancel Choir, Mrs. Archalene Martin as director, Ebony Chorale, guests, and Rev. Dr. Jason Thompson as pastor.
- The Build: A Conversation With Black Men for Black Men – 6-9 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 766 Darina Ave. in Sacramento. This one is for Brothas! We’re using a peer-group session with co-moderator Karega Bailey and D-Smoke “Rapture” (A Day Without Women) to facilitate a conversation for and with Black men amplifying the value of Black women. This is a safe space for us to learn from and grow with one another.