By Nicholas Ibarra | OBSERVER Staff Writer
All listed events, and more, can be viewed online on The OBSERVER’s community events calendar at SacObserver.com.
- SABGC: Black Invitational Golf Tournament – 7 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, at Haggin Oaks Golf Course. 7 a.m. check-in, 8 a.m. shotgun start; registration includes green fees with cart, range balls, continental breakfast, lunch and goodie bag.
- Community Health Fair: Embracing Black Health and Wellness – 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, at Greater Sacramento Urban League Empowerment Center. Participate in presentations, workshops, giveaways, wellness activities and more. The event includes three sessions. Please see the agenda for full session descriptions.
- Mardi Gras on the Blvd. – 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, on Del Paso Boulevard. Pack the parade route, show up and help line the streets in celebration of Mardi Gras. Decorate your store front and join the celebration.
- Black History Month Fashion Show – 3-5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, at Arden Fair, center court by the elevators. The Pop Up Shop hosts the second annual Urban Couture Fashion Show. Join us as we celebrate Black History through fashion, music and dance. This year’s special guest is Hundred’s Unit.
- 2nd Annual HBCU Informational and HBCU Alumni Round Up – 6-9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18, at COA Elite. This is an evening for students to experience fun networking activities with HBCU alumni who live in Northern California. There will be vendors, recruiting information and an opportunity for students to speak with HBCU alumni from Sacramento and surrounding areas.
- Style & Twisted Loc Convention – 3-7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 19, at 2600 Watt Ave., Sacramento. Come out and enjoy a loc hair show, entertainment from our loc community, as well as food, and a full bar while we dance!
- Ben Jealous Lecture, and Book Signing – 6-7:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 20, at Underground Books. The former NAACP president will be in conversation with OBSERVER publisher Larry Lee, followed by a book signing for his new book, “Never Forget Our People Were Always Free.”
- 35th Anniversary Sacramento Black History Month Expo – 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday Feb. 24, through Sunday, Feb. 26, at the Hyatt Regency in Sacramento. The free, public event features 100 exhibit booths for information, jobs, health, education, homeownership and more resources than ever. The largest Black History Month event of its kind will have music, entertainment and full nightly concerts.