By Nicholas Ibarra | OBSERVER Staff Writer
All listed events, and more, can be viewed online on The OBSERVER’s community events calendar at SacObserver.com.
- City of Sacramento African American Experience Project – 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 28, at the Hagginwood Community Center. The City of Sacramento seeks public participation in its effort to document the history of African Americans in Sacramento. This project calls for both detailed historical research collecting oral history and historical documents, and the production of a thematic historic context that documents the historical African American experience in Sacramento. Community involvement in the project is essential for ensuring accurate and complete documentation of Sacramento’s African American history.
- Savor – Beyond Soul Food: Black Women’s Leadership in American Food Culture – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 1, via Zoom. Join three award-winning thought leaders and culinary changemakers in Black women’s food culture as they address how Black women’s creative labor is the root of American cuisine. Panel features Tonya Holland, Psyche Williams-Forson and Kimberly D. Nettles-Barcelón.
- Black History Month Film Screening – 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 2, at University of the Pacific’s Sacramento campus. Join the Center for Inclusion and Diversity and the Black Law Student Association for a screening of “Adapting History,” produced by McGeorge alumnus Amadeu “Dayo” Goncalves.
- Shonna McDaniels, The Black Woman Experience – 5:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3-31, at YoloArts Gallery 625. YoloArts is pleased to present the welcoming reception for a solo exhibition of paintings by McDaniels, a visual artist, teacher, muralist, community activist and executive director of the Sojourner Truth African Heritage Museum in Sacramento. Exhibit runs through April 4.
- #SacTownYouthNights – 6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3, at Sojourner Truth Center. “I Am Somebody!” Black History Month Poetry Contest, $100 prize! Complete the “I Am Sonebody!”poetry fill-in document and bring with you to the event to enter the contest. Link: bit.ly/iamsomebodypoetry