Stevante Clark was booked into Sacramento County main jail on felony battery charges this week, after he was apprehend by the Sacramento Police Department’s Career Criminal Unit on May 18, Sacramento police said.
He was being held on $50,000 bail, but later released several hours later. Clark is scheduled to be arraigned in a Sacramento County court on May 27.
Clark was contacted by The OBSERVER after his release but he refrained from discussing any details about his case. He did indicate that he would let the process run its course through an attorney and that he is innocent until proven guilty.
The next day after Clark emerged from brief incarceration, he posted a video on Facebook to rant about how the local media covered his legal matter. The video lasted more than 20 minutes and he did not leave one stone unturned.
“I pay a price for my agenda,” Clark said. “And when you pay a price for your agenda, I want to let everybody watching, you will be attacked, you will be slandered, you will be talked about, (and) they will lie on you.”
Reports say that he was arrested due to a domestic violence incident that occurred a few weeks ago. Clark is the older brother of Stephon Clark, who was shot and killed by two Sacramento police officers in the back of his grandparent’s South Sacramento home on March 18, 2018.
The officers involved in the shooting were vindicated by the Sacramento County District Attorney and California Attorney General. The regional U.S. Attorney’s office declined to file civil rights charges against the cops.
After a few public outbursts related to the death of his brother, Stevante Clark has been a model citizen by supporting other families that suffered similar consequences.
Clark is currently a member of the city of Sacramento’s Measure U Community Advisory Committee in 2019. He has also used various social media platforms to promote social and economic justice while producing community events to support the Meadowview neighborhood.
Clark recently helped a family bring attention to a video of a Sacramento County Sheriff beating a defenseless 14-year-old boy late last month. He also attended the family’s first news conference after the incident to show his support.
“I’m just a man. I am not perfect. I want to be clear on me not being perfect,” Clark said on the Facebook post. “I will tell you that I am not a bad person, I’m not a horrible person. Black men are not endangered. Black men will survive. Black men will have a better tomorrow.”
By Antonio R. Harvey | OBSERVER Staff Writer